We Plug to You... Mentalist - Make You Proud

This is my debut post so I guess you guys don't know me... Lemme introduce myself, I'm Max (full name Maxim) and yeah its my real name, my mom was really into the magazine when she was pregnant. I'm a student but I often moonlight as a music reviewer and I love it, music is what keeps me going. I only mostly listen to rap but I can also stand some pop and R&B songs from time to time but enough about me so I can serve you some GOOD music. 


We plug to you Mentalist, he is one of the newest names to come out of the UK's Rap/Hip-Hop scene. He is one half of the group Problem Family alongside another emerging Hip-Hop artist Loudmouth Melvin, under the 'Hand 2 Mouth' indie label. Mentalist has been played and spoken highly of by some of the UK's  finest Hip-Hop DJs. From the BBC 1Xtra's DJ Semtex, MistaJam, Sarah Love and Rodney P & Skitz to Choice FM's DJ 279 and Kiss FM's DJ MK & Shortee Blitz. He's got a NEW Album out titled 'Make you Proud' which he's giving away for free and he is bringing back the real Hip-Hop where its not all about the witty punchlines and metaphors but also about the content and subject matter and Mentalist is speaking the truth so we had to pay attention PLUS he's also got the skills to back it up with his delivery, flow and lyrical ability... Let me shut up and let you guys hear it yourselves.


This song you just heard is titled 'Mentro', it features Krimzon on vocals and it's produced by Loudmouth Melvin, I really love how laid-back the beat is. I feel this song pays homage to the rappers from the golden-age of music (80's/90's Hip-Hop) beautifully with it's musical backdrop and Mentalist's rap style. This track is for all aspiring rappers or anyone struggling out there striving to make it, Krimzon was perfect on the hook and that soulful vocal sample at the end of the song is just amazing. This is one of those songs you need to have on your 'Lazy Saturday' or 'Hanging with the Friends' playlist, the point is though that this is one song you need to get!


This next track you just heard is my favourite track on the album, 'Mirage' featuring our very own Shanaz Dorsett; Shanaz worked the beat beautifully with her voice, it's amazing to listen to. Another Soulful laid-back musical backdrop provided for by Loudmouth Melvin for this retrospective song and Mentalist does not disappoint. This one's for the folks who try hard to acquire the money and fame; a friendly warning to keep you grounded always because the spotlight can sometimes ruin you. Mentalist drops some deep lyrics while narrating the story of a girl who seemed to be carried away by the shiny things in life. Listen...


This final track I will be plugging is titled 'Oh Yer' and it features Loudmouth Melvin, not as the producer this time but going toe-to-toe with Mentalist in the lyrical ring. This is a more upbeat and hard-hitting Hip-Hop song with Mentalist going more hardcore on this beat as well as Loudmouth Melvin, they both stepped their game up on this joint with Mentalist going in on the hook with...
"Ain't nobody hot as me // They can say they got it locked BUT you know I got the keys!"
and Loudmouth dropping serious quotables like...
"I heard dude say I'm biting, I'm innocent // I don't rise to that pussy shit, I'm impotent..."
This has a more aggressive delivery and beat which both rappers oblige to. Hope you enjoyed it.

I really do love this mixtape... It's got that old school feel to it and it's very reminiscent of the golden era of Hip-Hop music. Mentalist has got the lyrical skills, delivery, flow; the whole package but if there's just one problem I have with 'Make You Proud' is that every song just seemed to sound of the same vibe, like totally Indie/Neo-Soul Hip-Hop and not saying that it's entirely a bad thing as the songs come out really well and this vibe might very well be your thing but I did want to hear some more variety.

'Make You Proud' is an album for the mature Hip-Hop fans, its been a while since I personally heard Hip-Hop like this, his ingenuity is plentiful and I really admire his creativity but then again, if you knew Mentalist before 'Make You Proud', this might all likely be old news to you. I think he is inspired by rappers from the golden-age of rap because he sounds very much like they do and in an industry which has been overtaken by witty punchlines and gimmicky metaphors to dumb it down for the listener, Mentalist might suffer the same unfortunate fate that a lot of others before him have endured, which is having to wait for people to comprehend how special his gift really is. When you are so far ahead of the game, it will always take quite some time for the average listener to understand what you're about or catch up with you. But for those of you who have been desperately waiting for some real & honest Hip-Hop music to take the UK scene to that next level, you might wanna look towards Mentalist for starters. Download this mixtape and understand what I am talking about

Download: Mentalist - Make You Proud (Album)

Until the Next Time...

Max



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...