We Plug 2 You.... Olivier Daysoul - Mr Saint Louis EP

Hey there! Well, this week I got a review order from the DON, and I was actually excited because I feel I owe you more G.O.O.D music to get into. So I jumped on it and I loved it.... So without further ado, iPlug 2 you singer/songwriter Oliveir Daysoul.

Olivier Daysoul, real name Olivier St. Louis, born in Washington DC teams up with producer and friend Oddisee to make the beautiful EP titled "Mr Saint Louis". I am actually very excited about reviewing this EP, simply because it is undiluted soul music at its best.


Daysoul is a Hatian American based in the UK, he graduated from OXFORD UNIVERSITY, he has also worked with numerous artistes such as Hudson Mohawke, Onra, Dam funk, Mike Slott & many more and although this EP was written and recorded in Oxford (UK) during Oddisee's holiday trip to the town, the two friends had initially met in washington DC where the birth of the album was first discussed.

To be honest when I first heard his songs, I felt he was personally coached by Marvin gaye, well, I wasn't so far way from the truth because Daysoul says he draws alot of inspiration from the Likes of Marvin Gaye, Al Green Maxwell, and D'angelo, He also admires Snoop Dogg (the Dogg Father *in my mum's voice*), Common, Outkast and many more. Enough talk, let's get down to the music.

Well, the first song is called 'Labor' and it caught me on the first listen, this was down to his Falsetto as well as the backing vocals. On this track he talks about his relationship with a certain girl and I'll keep it on a low so you can listen and make out your own meaning. The melody on this track is actually very lovely but this part of the song got me 
"So you question my intention, when there's no need for suspicion/ so what else is left to prove to you"... 

I'm sure you loved that... This next track is just as lovely and actually very captivating that you actually forget everything else around you for a moment... Like actually forgetting the name of the track such like I did just now, it's called 'Foolish' by the way. The thing about good music is that even when the voice and the instrumentals are gone and you are just left with lyrics, you can still sense it's quality... 
"Trouble seems to envy me/ decisions so hard to make and she knows/ knows I don't want her to leave but i cant seem to open my mouth, so I go/ go ahead and make it so hard for myself"

Wow, this next track is nothing short of what you've heard already so far, and if you are the hip hop type, then you will fancy this one because it features Von Pea of Tanya Morgan. To be honest, this has that fly boy feel (black suit, black shades, red shoes and just bop to this lol) to it. This track is called 'In the Now' and I absolutely love it...


I wont even lie, I enjoyed every moment I spent doing this review... I love good music, regardless of the genre. So in order for you to get your hands on some more of this Daysoul opus, just DOWNLOAD the EP 'Mr Saint Louis'

Thank you for reading/ listening...

Fhanthom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...