G.O.O.D Soul Food Volume 3... A Brother With Soul

Ladies & Gentlemen... We can't keep leaving each other like this you know? It's been what? Near enough four weeks now since we last got together... Ok Ok Ok I'll take the blame this time but we've gotta sort it out, don't you think?

SO Now that my lame-ass attempt at apologising for NOt being here for a minute is out of the way... let's get down to the GOOD music!

Believe it or NOT but so much of our day is spent looking for worthy NEW music to bless you with & it can be a really painstaking experience, not that I mind because I enjoy discovering music that's beautiful and sharing that with you... BUT ever so often, something so GOOD suddenly lands right in our lap & we just have to share it... One of such 'things' is our next feature in the G.O.O.D Soul Food series and we've gotta thank 'this metal chic' for putting us on!!! His name is Femi (pronounced as in 'FAIR-ME') and his influences and inspiration range from the Legends of Soul Music... Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Al Green & Marvin Gaye to the Contemporary R&B maestros... Blackstreet, Jodeci, New Edition & Joe... Ok I can hear you say 'Hmm this better be good!' BUT when have we ever NOT brought the GOODNESS???

Let's get to it Ladies & Gentlemen...


We%20Plug%20G.O.O.D%20Music

I immediately fell in love with this brova's voice as soon as I heard this record, it is so smooth in a Joe Thomas/Brian McKnight kinda way... It reminds me so much of that kinda 90's male R&B vocals & I suppose that when he says he's been inspired by the likes of Jodeci & Blackstreet, you can definitely hear it in his sound... I definitely like it! The production on this is courtesy Wole Oni and the way he merges the very different musical sounds (you might need headphones to notice the 'traditional + contemporary' mash up) on this record is to be applauded... My favorite part of the song is the bridge, 2 minutes deep into the song, where Femi jus let's his vocals ride over the sounds of traditional Nigerian drums... Priceless!!!

& we've got more... you know how we do!!!


We%20Plug%20G.O.O.D%20Music

I must admit, I so badly wanna know how the title of this record came about. It's called 'Ma Pa Mi' which literally means 'Don't Kill Me' but yeah, the complex minds of song-writers heh? I dunno how sex-talk in Yoruba language might sound BUT I envision that if she (or he) is moaning 'Ma Pa Mi' amongst other things, you must be doing something right (lol)? This one's one of em sexy records you just wanna draw your 'special someone' close & vibe to... The lyrics are simple enough to learn after a couple listens (just Genius if that was the intention) & you cannot help but start to sing along to this song, I know I couldn't... It features the sensual vocals of Ego and I think she should have atleast been given more presence on the song cos when she's on that back & forth with Femi = the best parts of the song IMO.

'Ma Pa Mi' is Femi's debut single so make sure you look out for it in your local record stores plus you can enjoy the other records in this feature on the B-SIDE... Unfortunately I don't think this is being released online BUT if & when it is, I'll be sure to let y'all know about it!!!

Still can't get over how good this brova sounds though, what do you think? Do lemme know...


We%20Plug%20G.O.O.D%20Music

What you just heard is called 'Never Felt A Love'... It reminds me somewhat of that Bow wow/Ciara record 'Like You'? Like those bits where Femi goes '... love like this' sounds a lot like where Bow & Ciara go '... quite like you'? Doesn't it though? Don't get me wrong, I still fux with this tune, it's BIG! New England's Surefire Music Group does a great job with this banging production & Femi duly obliges as his vocals beautifully ride the thumping beats with such ease... I still can't decide which one I prefer, this or 'I Love You Baby'? What do you reckon???

As far as his song-writing abilities go, 'Never Felt A Love' is the one record that I reckon showcases that talent the best of all the three songs in this feature. There's nothing overly fancy about the words BUT they carry a sincerity to them that is so believable... Like Ms. Toledo said of the earlier 'Ma Pa Mi', the lyrics on there aren't unique (Not by any means even) BUT where these records may lack in deep lyrics, they more than make up for in beautiful vocals & real DOPE production that you cannot help but just appreciate the GOOD music that Femi blesses us with...

My only problem (BEEF) is... with music as good as this, why in heaven's name doesn't this brova have an internet presence? In an age where Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and the likes of them are taking over... Artistes cannot afford not to be in tunes with the times!!! Get it together, I say!!! QUICK EDIT - Check FEMI out on his Myspace, Twitter & Facebook!!! He's with the times alright!!! Talkin bout twitter, do join us on there as well...

As always, I do hope you enjoy the GOOD music on this here feature... We still wanna hear from you about the feature so please leave your two pennies... Is Femi 'killin' us with the lovely vocals & melody OR would we rather NOT have 'felt' his love???


Until the Next Time...

Peace, Love & GOOD Music

7 comments:

  1. lol @ Miss Toledo.....the guy is Dope, better lyrics and he will take the world by storm....but yea definitely he needs to be online....shu even my father has twitter....lol

    good job as always Ayo.....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. am feeling dis guy's voice, it really dope.......nice tracks....am feeling "i love you baby" more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW......dis guy is really off the chain. i searched the internet and found that he has a myspace page- www.myspace.com/femigotsoul
    twitter page- www.twitter/femigotsoul
    facebook fan page- www.facebook.com/pages/FEMI/158967213781


    am loving him already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No thats the wrong twitter page,I just searched for him and its www.twitter.com/FemiGotSoul

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ abiola... what do you know? He does have some internet presence although that myspace is like a week old & he got on twitter after we posted this up... I did do some research guys BUT yes we still love this dude off and we're so very glad he's online... Let's GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naija in the building. LEt this people know oh! too much soul in this boy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard the song "Never felt a love" on the radio and am very impressed. Nigerians lets support this brother i feel that his music can break into the mainstream market and beyond his sound can do it. My question is he signed to a label.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...